Q: How do I know when a child no longer needs a child restraint?

How do I know when a child no longer needs a child restraint?

A: There is a simple test that you can do to d...

There is a simple test that you can do to determine whether a child is big enough to graduate from a child restraint system or a booster seat. The test has three parts: 1. Can the child sit all the way back in the seat, and have their knees bend at the edge of the seat? 2. When the seatbelt is buckled, does it rest on the child’s shoulder? 3. Is the seatbelt tight around the child’s thighs? If the answer to any of these questions is “no”, then the child still needs to be in a booster seat or restraint system. Tip Even if your child meets this criteria, they shouldn’t sit in the normal seat unless they are able to maintain a safe seatbelt position for the entirety of the drive.