Q: How do I keep larger children safe?

How do I keep larger children safe?

A: Child safety should always be your top prio...

Child safety should always be your top priority and that means knowing how to protect them when riding in the car. There are several things you should know about protecting larger children while you’re on the road. Here’s a handy list:

1. Unless your child is 13 years old or older, they should be in the back seat unless it’s absolutely necessary.

2. If your child is too small for the seat belt but too large for a car seat, use a booster seat.

3. Make sure to follow your state’s specific laws regarding age/height/weight for children in car seats and booster seats.

4. If your child is too large for a booster seat, they can use the seat belt, but make sure it fits correctly and that they’re able to sit right in the back seat:

• Your child’s knees should bend over the seat edge.

• The seat belt should fit correctly (lap belt over the hips and shoulder belt across the chest and over the shoulder without touching the neck).

1. If a child absolutely has to ride in the front:
  • The passenger front seat should be moved all the way back.

• The child should sit all the way back in the seat.

• The seat belt needs to be properly positioned.