Q: How do I jumpstart the battery?

How do I jumpstart the battery?

A: While your car’s battery is designed to las...

While your car’s battery is designed to last for many years without any problem, it will eventually die. There are also other conditions that might drain your battery and leave it dead – you might leave the back cargo door light on for too long, for instance. Once the battery is drained, you’re stuck. Thankfully, jumpstarting the battery isn’t that complicated. Here’s what you need to do:

1. Turn off the ignition and make sure all your accessories are off (air conditioning, radio, etc.).

2. Open the hood.

3. Connect the positive clamp to your battery’s positive terminal.

4. Connect the other positive clamp to the positive terminal on the other car’s positive terminal.

5. Connect the negative clamp to the other car’s negative terminal.

6. Connect the other negative clamp to the left-hand bolt on the driver side strut mount.

7. Crank the other car’s engine.

8. Let it run for a few minutes and then try to crank your car. If it doesn’t start, let it sit for a few more minutes and then try again.

9. Remove the jumper cables in the reverse order of installation (and don’t let the clamps touch).

Once you’ve jumped the battery, have the battery and alternator tested. If the battery is bad, have it replaced.