Q: How do I find the vehicle identification number (VIN)?

How do I find the vehicle identification number (VIN)?

Your car’s VIN allows your car to be specifically identified. It is a 17-character label that is necessary for selling or registering your car. Your VIN can be found in a few different locations:

1. On top of the instrument panel, on the driver’s side, right where the dashboard meets the windshield. You can view the VIN by standing outside of the car and looking through the windshield at the bottom driver’s side corner.

2. On your car’s registration or title slip.

3. On your car’s Automobile Disclosure Information Label, which may be on your window, or may have been removed.

4. On the underside of your vehicle’s frame rail. The frame rail is the large part of your car’s frame that runs along the bottom of the car. The VIN will be located on the underside of the rail, on the passenger side, about halfway along the car. You’ll need to get underneath the car to view this.