Q: How do I choose the right child seat?

How do I choose the right child seat?

Your child must be in a child seat of some type until they are large enough to use the seat belts properly. The type of child seat used will be determined by your child’s weight, height and age, as well as the specific laws in your state. Your car can support three different types of child seats:

• Rear-facing car seats – Used for infants and toddlers.

• Front-facing car seats – Used for older children not yet large enough for a booster seat.

• Booster seats – Used for older children not yet large enough to correctly use the seat belts.

Tips

• Make sure that you correctly secure the child seat with the car’s seat belt.

• Never put a rear-facing car seat in the front passenger seat.

• Never let a child under the age of 13 sit in the front.

• Only install a front-facing car seat in the front if you have no other choice.

• Child seats should never be used with seat belt extenders.

• Follow the manufacturer’s directions to correctly install the car seat or booster seat.

3. How do I choose the right child seat?