Q: How do I choose a car seat to work correctly?

How do I choose a car seat to work correctly?

The most important thing you can do to protect your child when you’re on the road is to buy the right car seat. Not sure what model to choose to work in your car? While there are tons of options on the market, let’s simplify things:

1. Your Civic is designed to work with car seats that support that Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH) system. It’s also designed to work with older styles that use only the lap belt to secure the car seat.

2. The most important tip is this: make sure that the car seat is rated for your child’s weight and height. If your child is an infant, a rear-facing car seat is needed. If he or she is a year old, you may want to switch to a front-facing, reclined car seat.

3. Make sure that the car seat is sized appropriately for the back seat of your car. Understand that very large car seats may make it impossible to move the front passenger seat back all the way.

4. Make sure that the car seat you choose complies with US federal law (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 213).