Q: How do I check the tire wear?

How do I check the tire wear?

Your tires are the only things standing between the road and your car. It’s vital that you keep an eye on the tread level so you can replace the tires before they become safety hazards. Tires with low treads have much less grip on the road, but they’re also more susceptible to blowouts. Here’s how to check the tread:

1. Locate the tread wear indicator marking on the side of the tire (it’s a small arrow or the letters “TWI” on the sidewall just below the level of the tread).

2. Check the tread wear bar in the tread. If the bar is showing, it’s time to replace your tires.

Tips

• Make sure to check the condition of and pressure in your spare tire regularly.

• Make sure to keep an eye on tire pressure at all times as this will greatly affect tread wear.

• Rotate your tires regularly to prolong tread life.

• If replacing your tires, make sure you use a size that’s rated for your vehicle. Check the driver side door placard for the right tire size.

3. How do I check the tire wear?