Q: How do I check the power steering fluid?

How do I check the power steering fluid?

A: Checking your power steering fluid level is...

Checking your power steering fluid level is an important part of normal maintenance, and should be one once a month. If the level drops too low, you’ll hear a whining sound while turning, and the system may not work right. Here’s how to check it.

1. Make sure you’re parked level.

2. Turn off the engine.

3. Open the hood.

4. Locate the power steering fluid reservoir (it’s translucent white with several lines marked on the outside of it).

5. If the engine is hot, make sure the fluid is between the minimum and maximum hot lines.

6. If the engine is cold, make sure the fluid is between the minimum and maximum cold lines.

7. If the fluid is low (at or below the minimum mark for the temperature), top it off.