Q: How do I check the brake fluid?

How do I check the brake fluid?

Your brakes are hydraulic. They use a special type of fluid to actuate the calipers and squeeze the pads against the rotor. As your pads wear down, the amount of fluid in the lines increases and the amount of fluid in the reservoir decreases. The fluid level will also drop if there’s a leak in the system somewhere, so it’s doubly important to keep an eye on the level. Here’s what you need to do:

1. Park level.

2. Turn off the engine.

3. Open the hood.

4. Locate the master cylinder (it’s against the firewall on the driver side).

5. Check the level of fluid in the reservoir. It should be between the minimum and maximum lines.

Tip

If the fluid is at the minimum line or below, have your brakes inspected.

3. How do I check the brake fluid?