Q: How do I check the brake fluid?

How do I check the brake fluid?

A: Your brakes are hydraulic. That is, they ne...

Your brakes are hydraulic. That is, they need fluid pressure in order to operate. If the brake fluid drops too low, you’ll notice any number of problems, from the Brake light coming on in the dash to reduced stopping power. Obviously, you need to keep an eye on the level. Here’s how:

1. Park level.

2. Pull the hood release.

3. Open the hood and secure it with the prop rod.

4. Locate the master cylinder – it’s in the back, on the driver side firewall.

5. Check the level of fluid in the master cylinder reservoir. It should be between the minimum and maximum lines.

Tips

• As long as the fluid is between the minimum and maximum lines, it does not need to be topped off.

• If the fluid is getting close to the minimum lines, have your brake pads checked. They may need to be replaced.