Q: How do I change a flat tire?

How do I change a flat tire?

With careful driving, you should be able to minimize the risk that you’ll suffer from a blowout, but there’s no way to guarantee it won’t happen. When the unexpected happens, it pays to know what to do. Here are the steps to follow to fix your flat tire:

1. Pull over somewhere safe, as soon as possible.

2. Make sure you’re parked level, on a hard surface.

3. Put the car in park and set the parking brake.

4. Turn on your hazard lights.

5. Get the spare tire, jack and other tools out of the trunk (they’re located under the false floor, in the spare tire well).

6. Block the wheel diagonally from the flat tire.

7. Place the jack under the car and raise it slightly. Don’t raise the wheel off the ground yet.

8. Remove the center cap on the wheel.

9. Loosen the lug nuts but don’t remove them completely.

10. Raise the vehicle with the jack.

11. Remove the lug nuts.

12. Pull the flat tire off and put the spare tire in its place.

13. Hand tighten the lug nuts.

14. Lower the jack and the car to the ground.

15. Tighten the lug nuts with the lug wrench using a star pattern. Be careful not to over tighten them.

16. Put the flat tire back in the wheel well in the trunk and replace the jack and other tools.

17. Have the tire repaired or replaced as soon as possible.

3. How do I change a flat tire?