Q: How can i check a bad fuel pump before replacing one.

My van stalled at a stalled at a stoplight and now wont start.It still cranks over but no start.It seems like its about to start and makes alow poping noise like its burping.si i changed the fuel filtr but while changing filter i noticed not much gas was coming out of fuel lines and ther is gas in the tank.still no start .when i turn key the fuel pump seems to turn on for couple seconds as normal but still not starting does this sound like a bad pump or something more serious.the van has been running fine til this happend.

A: Hello. The best way to test the fuel pump i...

Hello. The best way to test the fuel pump is to test the fuel pressure. You can do this by hooking up a gauge to the vehicles fuel test port. This is an in-line gauge that will tell you what the pressure is when the vehicle is running or attempted to be starting. If the pressure is below manufacturer specification then you will need to replace the fuel pump. Always replace the fuel filter when replacing the fuel pump. This will ensure that the fuel system can flow as designed. The fuel pump relay is part of that system that will pop and fail immediately like you have described. You can test it, or replace it with a known good one to test it. Another quick test you can perform is to spray some starter fluid into the air ducts and see if the vehicle performs any differently. If the vehicle starts or attempts to start better than before, then you have a fuel delivery issue. Keep in mind this could be related to the fuel injectors as well. Test the fuel pressure and go from there.