Q: Hoping for Jay Safford for a follow up question

Hey I hope I reached you, if not I hope whoever reads this can help. "If you're getting a code for the cam sensor, this doesn't always mean the sensor is the problem. You may have a problem with slack in the timing chain or belt causing the crankshaft and camshaft sensors to not be in sync with each other. This would account for the engine to idle low and then jump up. If indeed the ECU has failed, there is unfortunately no way around it, and it just needs to be replaced. You could try checking with the dealer to see if there is a software update available for the ECU that could solve this issue. The best solution at this time would be to have a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come out and start the car cold and perform any additional diagnosis for this problem." -Jay Safford. Two questions, 1) how would I go about seeing if there is an ECU update, and 2) is it free for you to come out To me? I don't want to pay to be told something I already know haha. thanks!

A: Hi there Cal, my name is Toby. Just so we ...

Hi there Cal, my name is Toby.

Just so we are perfectly clear, there is a very low likelihood that there is an update to the ECU available, it just doesn't hurt to ask. Unfortunately the dealer would have to have the car in their possession to check for updates, so if and what they charge you is up to them. As far as having YourMechanic come out, while it isn't free, it's generally much cheaper than competing dealerships or independent shops in your area, and the work all carries a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty. If you have any further questions about pricing with YourMechanic, you can request a quote for a number of different services by visiting our website or calling us at 1-888-341-3994.