Q: Hood cable broke and hood won't open

Our car’s hood cable broke and I can’t open it now. The shop told me to purchase the original part. The guy that helped me opened the hood within a minute with a flat screwdriver. I have to wait on purchasing an original part. The problem is that I need to check the brake fluid. I need to know how that guy opened the hood with the screwdriver. I’ve been trying to do it, but just can’t seem to. There is a gap of ½ inch between the grill and the hood where I can stick the screwdriver, but I just can’t figure out which latch to push up. Can you direct me on how to do this?

A: Hello. There is a spring loaded latch that ...

Hello. There is a spring loaded latch that the cable pulls on so you should grab a flashlight and a screwdriver like the one you saw him use and look for where the spring is. The lever needs to be pushed towards the drivers side of the car. If you play with it a little bit, you’ll get it. Keep in mind it’s spring loaded so it will require a little force. There are multiple videos that show the process if you still cannot get it to release.