Q: Honda civic coupe EX, 2004. Locked in park. Car won't turn on. Makes no attempt to turn over.

Recently car had trouble starting because it showed it was in Park and Drive at the same time. Both were lit. Jiggled shifter, showed "drive" only and car started. Shifter has been feeling very stiff and hard to move. I drove car today and shifter felt normal again. Car started fine. Drove fine. Parked in driveway, came back 5 min later and car was locked in park and would not start. No attempt to even turn over. All accessory lights work. Horn and brake lights work. Can hear a little click by shifter when trying to turn on (solonoid?). Have not checked battery connections or fuses......Just went to check if lights dimmed a lot when attempting to turn over, and car surprisingly just started. But it makes me nervous and I want to diagnose. Who knows when car just won't turn on.

There is a gear position sensor associated with the transmission and shifter that only allows you to start the car when in park or neutral. Since you mention that the car started while the indicator said Drive, we can assume that the connection between the shifter and that sensor is not set up correctly. If you could move the shifter, you might find that it will start with the shifter in the wrong position. Some of the Hondas have a shift lock override near the floor shift, You can remove a plastic button and push a key or screwdriver in the hole to disengage the shift lock. But be careful! if your car starts in drive or reverse it could cause a crash. You can get this problem sorted out by contacting Your Mechanic. They will send a technician to your home or office to [check out your Honda(https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/neutral-safety-switch-replacement) and let you know what can be done for it.

3. Honda civic coupe EX, 2004. Locked in park. Car won't turn on. Makes no attempt to turn over.