Q: Hole in engine. What's a probable cause for this?

My father has a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 1.9L TDI. Recently driving down the road, it felt as though it stalled. He managed to pull off the road and noticed oil running all over the road. And a couple pieces of what seems to be cast iron, a spring, and a small circular metal plate. There's a hole in the engine block, through which he can see the crankshaft, near the oil dipstick and the oil cooler. The oil cooler is hanging loose now. Any thoughts as to what may have happened? And what to do?

It sounds as though there’s no option for this car other than engine replacement. A catastrophic failure like that usually only results after the car has been driven with internal problems like main or rod bearing failure. There was probably some engine noise associated with the failure, but not everyone recognizes the tell tale sounds right away. The problem probably began with low or contaminated engine oil causing low oil pressure, next came bearing failure, then came the major breakage. Depending on the mileage and condition, a ten year-old Jetta Diesel may not be worth enough to justify the engine replacement. If you need further assistance with diagnosing the problem, YourMechanic offers a repair and diagnosis service preformed by a mobile, professional mechanic that will commute to your location for this repair.