Q: Hi Shaun! Can you help me determine whether my mechanic was being legit re: my AC issue?

Hi Shaun! Can you help me determine whether my mechanic is legit? I had them do a performance check on my AC (2007 Kia Rondo) because the AC was not working consistently (sometimes the air would be cool, other times it would not cool). The mechanic offered a $75 performance check which includes "when accessible... compressor and clutch". They added some freon and ac oil dye and said problem was fixed. However the AC still did not work properly, so I returned for a recheck. They then discovered that the compressor had power but the clutch was not engaging. So they said they needed to perform an electrical diagnostic to see why (inc. lifting vehicle to access the compressor). This cost me $126. Diagnosis: I need a new compressor/clutch and coolant fan relay (their estimate is $1,072). Thank you so much.

Hello, thanks for writing in about your Kia Rondo. Unfortunately we can’t confirm whether your mechanic is being legit because we don’t know the complete conversation between you and the mechanic. Shops have their own prices for their services. You may have to shop around to find out if another shop will do it for a better price. If you’d like a second opinion on the quote I would suggest having one of our technicians diagnose the issue with your A/C for an accurate repair.

3. Hi Shaun! Can you help me determine whether my mechanic was being legit re: my AC issue?