Q: Hi Robert. The ball joint on the front driver side lower control arm is bad on my 2005 MDX. Do I have to replace the whole lower

The ball joint on the front driver side lower control arm is bad on my 2005 MDX. I drove off a curb at slow speed and damaged it when I came off the curb onto the street. Do I have to replace the whole lower control arm or can I replace just the ball joint? I think the bushings on the other two connection points on the control arm are ok and are in good shape.

So long as the control arm was not damaged, the ball joint alone can be replaced on this model. On inspection, the mechanic will look for the tell-tale signs of impact damage to the control arm, as well as other vehicle suspension components. Unlike the frame, there are no published "measurements" of the control arm to compare against and so if ANY impact damage to the control arm is visible, your safest course is to replace the arm. Again, though, if there is no visible damage, just the ball joint can be replaced. To schedule both an inspection, and replacement of the ball joint as needed, please use Your Mechanic’s front ball joint/control arm inspection/replacement service page. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Hi Robert. The ball joint on the front driver side lower control arm is bad on my 2005 MDX. Do I have to replace the whole lower