Q: Hi Robert, I bought a lexus 2002 es300 recently at an auction. Noticed that engine overheated. I'm seeing a gooey wax like substan

I bought a lexus 2002 es300 recently at an auction. Noticed that engine overheated. I'm seeing a gooey wax like substance at the upper hose and radiator joint. Seems like a stop leak additive was used. How do I get rid of it? WIll Radiator flush help? Or should the radiator & water pump be replaced?

Hello, thank you for writing in. If a stop leak was used and it is creating a clog in the system, then a flush is where you want to start. Flush the radiator and do your best to clean the hoses. Unfortunately the water pump and the thermostat may also have the same gunky build-up inside. Stop leak use can also mean there was a more significant leak in the system that was not easily repaired, and that stop leak was used to "band-aid" the situation. If flushing the system does not solve the problem, you will want to look to the thermostat and water pump next. Only further inspection and a step by step process of elimination will tell. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. Hi Robert, I bought a lexus 2002 es300 recently at an auction. Noticed that engine overheated. I'm seeing a gooey wax like substan