Q: Hi Peter. Can you help me please. I have a 2002 Jeep liberty sport. I have owned this wonderful little truck for 10 yrs with littl

Hi Peter. Can you help me please. I have a 2002 Jeep liberty sport. I have owned this wonderful little truck for 10 yrs with little to no major problems other than replacing the A/C compressor, alternator & general maintenance. However my question is I have never replaced the spark plugs and I'am at 115,000 miles today. The truck is running fine no misfires or anything, but my mechanic says I need a tune up not just an oil change,& that I should replace them since I have never EVER had them replaced. Do I really need this or is he trying to get more money out of me. Please help , I'am going on the road for a vacation soon. Thank you

If you don’t periodically remove the spark plugs from the cylinder head (100,000 miles is typical), the plugs can essentially weld themselves to the aluminum head of the engine and then when you do belatedly service them, upon removal the spark plugs threads in the head will be damaged. So, there are actually a number of reasons why replacement of spark plugs is not optional. At 100,000 plus miles there is probably additional required maintenance, or at minimum inspections, that should be performed, too, in order for you to obtain the maximum useful service life from the vehicle. If you desire spark plug replacement, please use YourMechanic’s service page for spark plug replacement and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you and advise you as to other maintenance required on the vehicle. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Hi Peter. Can you help me please. I have a 2002 Jeep liberty sport. I have owned this wonderful little truck for 10 yrs with littl