Q: Q: Clunking noise

CAR MAKES CLUNKING NOISE WHEN DRIVING, WAS TOLD BY A MECHANIC IT NEEDS THE CONTROL ARMS REPLACED TO STOP THE CLUNKING, JUST TRYING TO GET A SECOND OPINION AND AN IDEA OF HOW MUCH LABOR AND PART COSTS WOULD BE

Hi There, Control arms will certainly make a clunking noise when they are beginning to wear out. You may also feel the steering wheel a bit loose and vibrating as well when they need to be replaced. CV joints are also known to make a distinct clunking noise when they are beginning to wear out. A CV joint (Constant Velocity) joint is a shaft that connects the transmission to the wheels, essentially transferring the power from the drive train directly to the wheels. The CV joint is packed with a special grease and sealed tight with the rubber or plastic boot, that is held in place with two clamps. The most common problem with the CV joints is when the protective boot cracks or gets damaged. Once this happens, the grease comes out and moisture and dirt get in, causing the CV joint to wear faster and eventually fail due to lack of lubrication and corrosion. When the CV joint becomes damaged or worn, you may hear a clicking, clunking or popping sound coming from this area as the weight of the vehicle puts pressure on this area and shifts back and forth and side to side. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Q: Clunking noise