Q: Car choices

Hi Jeffrey. I am about to buy a new car and I stand for between a Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS and a Mini Cooper S, both used, 2013-2014 with around 40k miles. Which one is the most reliable on mechanics and which is less costly to maintain and repair? (I assume Subaru has a great reputation). Thank you.

Hi There, These are great choices with great options and low mileage which are all great things to look for in purchasing a new vehicle. The Subaru is a very well respected car with a long history of dependability and durability. The Toyota Scion is also a great choice, although a bit small in the cabin of the car, so if space is of any concern you may want to take a second look at this vehicle. The Mini Cooper is also a great car, but like the Toyota Scion will be a bit small on interior space and slightly higher in terms of maintenance costs. At the end of the day, purchasing a new vehicle is often times a personal preference choice as well and that should be taken into account. You want to purchase something you are going to enjoy and be happy with. I would suggest reading the reviews on each of these cars on sites like caranddriver.com and edmunds.com to familiarize yourself with the specifics on each car. Then of course, you should drive each one of them and make notes of things you liked about each one and things you did not like prior to making your choice.

As you know, with any car the life expectancy of it depends largely on the maintenance schedule the owner has maintained, the driving conditions it is subjected to, the driving habits of the owner and many other factors. Often times when a car has had internal damage or even slight cosmetic damage, it may be difficult to tell without looking closely or performing an in depth inspection. As with any vehicle, proper maintenance schedules are a key factor to prolonging the longevity of the vehicle and avoiding unnecessary costly repair bills due to neglecting proper maintenance intervals. I would suggest having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your location to perform a thorough pre-purchase inspection prior to making your purchase.