Q: My heater would not turn off at first and now my car is overheating. 2011 Dodge Nitro

Last Sunday the car heater wouldn't turn off..it started making a rattling noise towards the front of the truck.this morning on my drive to my job.I forgot to close the hood properly.well the battery light popped on and when I stopped it was smoking like crazy.I let it cool down and started it back up and attempted to drive I got around the corner and noticed the gauge moving into the hot zone.it started running hot..I need help

3. My heater would not turn off at first and now my car is overheating. 2011 Dodge Nitro