Q: I was rear ended by another car. The insurance team repaired my rear bumper free of cost. 2 days later my ABS lights came.

Hi Ben, I was rear ended by another car. The insurance team repaired my rear bumper free of cost. 2 days later my ABS lights came on. The dealer diagnosed fault codes with accumulator pressure sensor and brake system malfunction. The insurance has rejected the claim as not related to the accident. My car (Toyota Prius) was serviced only 2 days prior to the accident and no fault was evident. May I know if this could be related to the accident. Thanks

Hi there. If you were at a dead stop with the brake pedal on the floor and a vehicle rear ends your vehicle, then there is a good possibility that the brake system could become damaged if your vehicle moved from its spot. The accumulator pressure sensor has detected a high force of brake fluid to the master cylinder. When the fluid moves rapidly back to the master cylinder, there is a good chance that the brake controller can be damaged. In the event of the accident, when your vehicle was moved forward and your brakes locked down, then force of the impact and the rotors moving when fully stopped will make the fluid move in and out as the rotors will have a run out on them. This means that the rotors are not true (only true before installing new ones) and will cause the fluid to pulsate back to the master cylinder. If you need further assistance with your ABS light on, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. I was rear ended by another car. The insurance team repaired my rear bumper free of cost. 2 days later my ABS lights came.