Q: Hi. A few days ago I purchased some gas. I filled the tank. Immediately upon restarting the car the engine sputtered and choked.

I cut the car off. Let it sit for a few seconds and restarted. Still severe sputtering. The car hesitated to shut off. 3 days later my check engine light came on and the mechanic indicates that my purge valve is malfunctioning. I find it difficult not to conclude that the two aren't related. In between filling the tank and and the engine light coming on I had an emissions test. It past. My question is can the problem be directly or indirectly related to the bad gas? Thanks.

Hi, thanks for writing in. I believe that that bad gas may very well have caused this issue. My first recommendation would be to have all the fuel drained out and the fuel pump relay removed. Then crank the engine until the fuel pressure is relieved. Then the fuel should be removed from the lines. Once this is done, the fuel tank can be refilled with quality fuel as well as some fuel injector cleaner. Once this step is complete, the engine should start back up. If the engine does not start back up, the purge valve may require replacement in order to resolve this issue. I would also recommend choosing a different fuel station for a while to prevent this issue from happening again. Hope this helps, best of luck!

• Hi. A few days ago I purchased some gas. I filled the tank. Immediately upon restarting the car the engine sputtered and choked.