Q: Hey this is Erick. I replaced my timing chain or belt for my Nissan Maxima and it still makes a loud noise when I start the car up

I recently changed my belt for my Nissan Maxima and when I start my car. It still makes a loud ticking noise. What could it be?

Hello. A ticking from the engine can be caused by a few different things. If the chain was recently replaced, then it may be possible that the sound is not related to the chain, or perhaps to a component besides the chain. A new chain may still rattle if the chain guides or tensioner are worn, though in most cases a timing chain replacement will include a replacement of those components as well. Another possible cause for the noise is mechanical engine issues, perhaps with the valve train or bottom end of the engine. If the valve train, in the head of the engine, has any issues, perhaps due to wear or oil starvation it may produce a ticking sound. The same goes for the vehicle’s bottom end, the crankshaft and connecting rods, though in most cases this will also come accompanied with noticeable performance loss. I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, visit your location to determine what the cause of the engine noise may be.

• Hey this is Erick. I replaced my timing chain or belt for my Nissan Maxima and it still makes a loud noise when I start the car up