Q: I have a Toyota probox. The rear drum brakes seem to be making a noise when braking. I've checked front and back, pads.

Checked front brake pads - seem fine, piston moves freely Checked back drum, no leaking cylinder, shoes are ok, there was some dust.

Once drove aging it seemed better but just checking what I can do as a preventative maintenance, it's clear boing needs replacing....

Hi there. Remove the rear wheels and remove the drums. Look at the hardware that secures the rear brake shoes together on the spider backing plate. If the hardware looks old and has a lot of the paint removed, then I recommend replacing the hardware. The brake spring hardware will make the brakes drag when they get old and loose. If you need further assistance with your rear brakes, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• I have a Toyota probox. The rear drum brakes seem to be making a noise when braking. I've checked front and back, pads.