Q: Hesitation on acceleration - 1980 Chevrolet C10 Suburban

Hello I have an issue with my suburban , it have been working perfectly since forever and I perform the usual mantainance I used for traveling once or two ce per month and sometimes in the city to transport big equipment (I'm a musician ). But last week I experienced a hesitation on acceleration when I press the gas pedal , the carb it's a quad , starts quickly and works perfect at low speeds when once I go to the highway and press the pedal down (opening the first to barrels to full) it feels the lack of power and If I opened the 4 barrels accelerates just good as usual . So the problem it's when I opened the first two barrels wide open . I checked the vacuum lines , no further problems with them I replaced them new , also cables , fuel lines , fuel filter , air filter , spark plugs , etc . The problem it could be the acceleration pump on the carb?.

Thanks !!!.

Hi there. From the description you have provided, your vehicle’s hesitation could be, the carburetor’s accelerator pump not working. An easy way to identify whether the accelerator pump is working or not. Remove the air cleaner housing, engine off, open choke butterfly. Looking inside at the primary venturi(s), there are two small nozzles above them, that deliver fuel when the accelerator plunger is pushed.

Moving the throttle plate will depress the plunger and you should see fuel squirt from the nozzles. No fuel from the nozzles, would indicate the carburetor should be overhauled.

Unfortunately, now days hard to find someone to rebuild a carburetor. I recommend having your vehicle’s hesitation symptoms be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.