Q: Help with turning the brake rotor

In your recent article on brakes, I discovered it was mentioned that if your rotor has a lip, then you should turn it if not ready to replace it. "Lip",does it refer to the sharp edge formed on the rotor as a result of inward deterioration on the flat surface? If so, how is the turning option achieved in lieu of replacing it? Thanks.

A: Not all rotors can resurfaced. It depends o...

Not all rotors can resurfaced. It depends on the material that is used when making the rotors. As far as the lip goes, yes, the lip is where the pad has worn into the rotor. If the lip is enough to interfere for the new pads to seat evenly then the rotor should be resurfaced or replaced.

As far as resurfacing the rotors, most mobile mechanics are not equipped to resurface the rotors and would recommend replacing the rotors instead. If the pads have worn too far into the rotors then they should be replaced anyway.

A machine shop or automotive shop would most likely have a machine to resurface rotors and drums if you’d like to have that done. Otherwise, consider having one of our mobile technicians come to you to inspect your brake system and replace your brake rotors as necessary.