Q: Engine smokes on start up

I just bought Mazda 626 1999 model to replaced the old one but quite unfortunate the engine short oil within a month and I was adviced to change the oil which I did but the engine blowing blue smoke in the morning after start-up and when raising. I decided to return the engine back where it was bought but I was told that it was wiring problems. Is it true? What should I do?

I’m presuming that you bought a used engine and had it installed which can be a risky business. If the engine is using oil and smoking out of the exhaust it probably needs major work. If you bought a remanufactured or a new engine, there may be a warranty. But with used engines it can be very hard to get satisfaction when they don’t work out. The idea that it may be a wiring issue seems a little far-fetched, though I suppose if there is a temp sensor driving the system rich it could be a possibility. I think your best bet is to have a technician from Your Mechanic take a look at this car. They can check out your oil consumption problem and tell you what it’s going to take to solve it.

3. Engine smokes on start up