Q: Hello, my husband and I are considering purchasing a 1985 GMC Sierra Suburban. It has only had 1 owner and has 63K miles.

My husband and I are interested in purchasing a 1985 GMC Sierra Suburban that has 63K miles. It has had 1 owner and was driven mostly Summer's to haul a camper and boat and was not driven in winter. We live in FL but the car is in PA. We need something that won't require super specialized and hard to find expertise and something that won't be difficult or highly expensive when repairs are needed. We'd like to know the general cost and ease of maintenance and repair on such a car. Thank you!

The car has 63000 miles.
The car has an automatic transmission.

This model truck in general has a good history, with no Federal Recalls recorded, and no apparent dealer technical service bulletins. If the truck spent any time in Pennsylvania in the winters, it should be checked for salt or other corrosion damage.

Since you and the vehicle are in very different states, I would recommend having a pre-purchase car inspection completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to get an accurate assessment of the vehicles condition, any damage and cost estimate for repairs. The YourMechanic inspector can go to where the vehicle is in Pennsylvania, and report back to you in Florida! Best of luck.

• Hello, my husband and I are considering purchasing a 1985 GMC Sierra Suburban. It has only had 1 owner and has 63K miles.