Q: Hello my car had its steering rack replaced 5 months ago the garage never put the heat shield back on and now the steering rack is

Hello my car had its steering rack replaced 5 months ago the garage never put the heat shield back on and now the steering rack is corroded and failed could this be because the heat shield never got put back on as I have been told maybe but the garage are saying impossible. Any help would be much appreciated thanks

Hello, thank you for writing in. The shields that are mounted on the bottom of the car provide the most protection from water and road debris. While they do provide this protection, failure of the rack and pinion should not have occurred after being exposed for 5 months. If weather conditions in your area are extreme right now, that may be a factor to consider, but you need to look into the situation a little further. Check to see if the rack was new, used, or re-manufactured when it was put in. Verify what kind of warranty the unit came with if any, and find out why the heat shield was not reinstalled. The company will have to take some responsibility for that. If the unit was used, it may not have a warranty, but any new or re-manufactured parts (used but rebuilt) should have a warranty. Between the manufacture of the rack, and the shop who did not reinstall the shield, you should be getting assistance somewhere along the line in replacing the unit again. For more help replacing the unit, or getting an inspection of the problem, contact our service department about scheduling.

3. Hello my car had its steering rack replaced 5 months ago the garage never put the heat shield back on and now the steering rack is