Q: Hello I recently just replaced the water pump on my car but after a week of getting it fixed I still smell a burnt rubber smell an

My cars water pump was replaced about a month ago and I still notice the burnt rubber smell and my temperature gauge goes up and down when I drive it for awhile. Should I have gotten the thermostat fixed or does the radiator need replacing.

Hi There, The temperature fluctuation is normally a reflection of a faulty thermostat. As you may know, the thermostat regulates the flow of the coolant in your car’s engine and controls when the coolant flows in and out of the motor from the radiator by opening and closing at specific temperatures. When your thermostat is not working properly or is stuck closed, this will not allow the coolant to properly circulate through the engine, which may cause the engine temperature to fluctuate erratically or in some cases just remain hot. When the thermostat is stuck open it can cause the coolant to circulate constantly resulting in the motor never reaching the correct operating temperature. I would suggest having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your cooling system.

• Hello I recently just replaced the water pump on my car but after a week of getting it fixed I still smell a burnt rubber smell an