Q: Hello Chris, What kind of radiator do I use to replace my 2006 model Toyota Highlander

My radiator has been leaking and I was advised to get a double cell radiator cos of the weather conditions in Nigeria.

Radiator leaks are caused by corrosion and/or mechanical failure (perforations). Whether the radiator leaked, or is leaking, is not relevant to a decision about switching over to a different design or a version of a radiator that might have additional cooling capacity. The bottom line is if you have been using the present radiator for some time and have not experienced overheating you should simply replace it to resolve the leak issue. The preferred replacement is the Toyota OEM radiator, NOT an aftermarket radiator. If, on the other hand, you have experienced episodes of overheating you have to first completely rule out the possibility that there are faults in the cooling system that have nothing to do with the capacity of the radiator but are causing the overheating. Once those potential faults elsewhere in the system are carefully ruled out, the only way to select an alternative radiator design is on the basis of engineering data that compares the OEM radiator to the proposed replacement. To carry out that analysis, you have to consult with the Technical Support staff at the company vending the replacement radiator and ask for very specific data and/or their guidance (they are the technical experts). My advice is IF overheating has not been a problem to date, replace your defective radiator with an OEM Toyota radiator, ensure the cooling system is otherwise working optimally, and you "might" also possibly consider getting a high capacity electric cooling fan or an additional fan (there again, though, you have to look at the data; don’t buy one on the basis of an ad). If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Hello Chris, What kind of radiator do I use to replace my 2006 model Toyota Highlander