Q: heater stopped blowing hot, then the temperature gauge when hot and then there was steam and liquid everywhere.

This all happened after only driving 5 miles. With the above symptoms what are the likely problems?

What you are describing could be due to a sudden coolant leak (broken hose, for instance) that caused overheating or the overheating occurred first and that itself caused a hose to burst or the radiator pressure cap to open to relieve high pressure due to the overheating. As far as the sudden no heat in the cabin, once the cooling system "opened" and coolant flowed out, there was probably inadequate coolant to flow through the heater core (in the dash) and that is why you noticed no heat. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. heater stopped blowing hot, then the temperature gauge when hot and then there was steam and liquid everywhere.