Q: Heater not working and car says its overheated but it isn't hot

The heater in our van stopped working and around the same time the van kept saying its overheating, but it really wasn't overheated. It will go straight to hot and then back to normal. What could the problem be?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. I’d be hap...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to help. This is a common characteristic of a car that has a cooling system problem. The flaw in the cooling system may be related to low coolant levels, a plugged heater core, a faulty thermostat, a broken blower motor or heater core hoses that may have leaks in them. When the temperature gauge goes straight to hot and then back to normal, this may indicate a faulty thermostat that may be sticking occasionally, which will cause a flow of coolant to rush into the motor which will bring the temperature back down to normal. When it sticks closed, this will cause the heat to rise again.

If you would like help with inspect this issue, consider having one of our expert automotive technicians come to your home or office to look at and diagnose this issue for you and make any repairs as needed.