Q: Heater core needs replacing

Dealer tells us it will cost $16 to 1700 to replace. The car is like new, just need advice on fixing, trading or what. If we repair should we have it done at the dealership or an independent mechanic? Thank you very very much, Bruce Miller

Hi there. Replacing the heater core is a rather extensive job that will require multiple engine and interior components on the vehicle in order to replace. This is why the cost is rather expensive. I would be concerned if you had an overheating issue, whether or not simply replacing the heater core will resolve your issues. Although our mobile mechanics do not offer this service, I would recommend that you contact a local shop to get a second opinion. Here is a good rule of thumb to consider; anytime the repairs are 50% of the current blue book value of your vehicle, it’s better to move on and buy a different car. Good luck to you.

3. Heater core needs replacing