Q: Headlights stop functioning after starting SUV

When I activate the headlights, they stop functioning after I have started my SUV. I went to an independent mechanic and he replaced the lamp control relay fuse. He has done this two separate times. He also reported that there is damage to the fuse box and that the head lamp driver module has melted. Fortunately, it did not cause a fire, nor smoke. Before proceeding with more replacements, I would like your assessment since the lamp control relay fuse has already had to be replaced “twice.” Thank you.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in about your ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2008 Saab 9-7x. The circuit protection devices are trying to warn of an issue in the system. The rest of the electronics along the lighting circuit must be inspected to prevent further damage. Something had to go wrong in order to melt and electronic module. Common finds are faulty light bulbs and malfunctioning modules. If you would like to have this checked out, a certified technician from YourMechanic can inspect the headlights at your home or office in order to pinpoint the problem and conduct a repair.