Q: Headlights not working right

Hi, I have a 2004 Chevy impala and a year ago the low beams went out but the high beams still worked but only if I pulled back and held the multifunction switch lever with my hand while I'm driving. The wipers wouldn't turn on either at that time If I dident hold it I had no headlights low or high. So I went out and bought a new multifunction switch lever and it fixed the issue for a month. Wipers, headlights low and high worked again and I didn't have to hold it back when I drove. After a month I had to start holding the lever back again and same situation again except this time my wipers are working and the low beams are out and I only have high beams if I hold back lever. High beams flickered when I go over a bump in the road I've noticed. Today I get in to drive and now the high beams won't work even if I hold the lever back. So I have no headlights at all now. What could be the issue?

Everything you describe points to the multi-function switch again, so their are two possibilities. Either the replacement switch is bad, or there is a wiring issue in the steering column. It’s possible that the wires in the connector to the multi-function switch are loose or damaged. This is not uncommon and is typically more prone to happen win vehicles equipped with a tilt-wheel column that is used frequently. The constant movement can loosen or break wires. Replacing the switch the first time may have just moved things around a bit to make good contact for a period of time. If the connector or wires do not have any obvious looseness or breaks, have a certified technician look into why the lights don’t work properly to isolate the exact cause.