Q: Headlights foggy

Hi,

Is it possible to clean or replace just the plastic covers on the headlights once they become foggy, or does the entire headlight assembly need to be replaced? I have one small bulb out on my headlight, but don't want to pay to replace it if I will need to replace the entire assembly anyway due to the fogginess.

Thanks!

A: It’s possible to "refurbish" the ...

It’s possible to "refurbish" the plastics lens to some extent (on a DIY basis, you can use inexpensive, non abrasive compounding, such as that vended by 3M) but in my experience it is not worth it given that replacement aftermarket assemblies are available at a reasonable cost, particularly in the case of the 06 Camry, a very common vehicle. If you intend to keep the car for at least 5 more years, you are better off just installing new headlights. If you shop for them really thoroughly you can find them with relatively good discounts. For example, maybe 5 years ago I bought TYC units (a good brand) for $35 each for a GM vehicle. Those lenses are still in new condition. You will need to aim the headlights once you are done...YourMechanic has specialists who can perform such a task.