Q: Headlight covers do not retract, battery dead.

The headlight covers on my car do not retract and needs repair. It possibly might be a fuse. It has also affected the battery charge and the battery is dead after not starting for two weeks.

A: Hello and thanks for the question. Sounds l...

Hello and thanks for the question. Sounds like your two problems could be related. The covers are moved by small electric motors sometimes these motors or there control circuit can fail in a way that will cause voltage to be used even when you have turned off your key. When this happens you have a dead battery when returning to car. But in order to be sure, a skilled technician, such as one from YourMechanic, would diagnose your headlight motor problem and then isolate or remove it from the battery circuitry and then check for a parasitic drain to confirm that this was your problem as well.