Q: Head gasket failure ? 2007 Ford F250 Super Duty

Hello , I think I've got a head gasket fault on my f250 but I can't seem to find anyone with the know how to test it ? The water system seems to be pressurising and pushing the water out of the header/expansion tank , there are no bubbles just a build up of pressure , I checked the thermostat and it was faulty so I fully removed the thermostat from its housing whilst waiting for a new one and put back together to see if this would solve the problem ... it hasn't , The car in itself runs perfectly Help please as this will cost me money that I can't afford to spend and the worry of a cracked engine block could be possible to ? The car had a full rebuild in 2012 in Spain with strengthened head bolts by the previous owner Thanks

Hi there - you are correct, a blown head gasket can both over-pressurize the cooling system, and super-heat the coolant. I would first check that the cooling system has been thoroughly bled of air. Air pockets inside the engine cause violent boiling of coolant inside the engine, over-pressurizing the cooling system. You can also inject a dye into the cooling system that responds to ultraviolet light if combustion gases are present in the cooling system. This would not tell you if there was a cracked head or block, or a blown head gasket, but would tell you that at least one of these problems is occurring. For additional diagnostic help, I would recommend a cooling system inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Head gasket failure ? 2007 Ford F250 Super Duty