Q: Having issues with airbag lights

The airbag light is coming on in my car. The passenger air bag light does not turn on. However, if someone sits in the passenger seat, sometimes the dash light goes off, and then the passenger side airbag light in the console goes on. While driving, the dash light will come back on and then the passenger airbag light will turn off. If the passenger adjusts the seat, moves around and messes with the seat belt, the issue is corrected. Then after driving for a few more minutes, the problem comes back. Is this something that I can fix myself?

Hi there, thanks for writing in. Your Vue has an occupant detection system built into the front passenger seat. This system is designed to arm the airbag whenever an adult over a certain weight is sitting in the seat. The sensors are in the seat pad, and are a common failure on many vehicles.

This is the most likely cause of this issue, though the entire system should be properly checked by a qualified professional. They will be able to diagnose the cause of the airbag light and advise you of what repairs need to be made.

3. Having issues with airbag lights