Q: Having a hard time with the doors locking or not locking

The locks on my 2010 Volkswagen Jetta are oddly unresponsive at times. I can’t quite pinpoint a pattern, other than that it started only on the passenger side. Sometimes the doors just won't respond when I hit the lock control on the door or the key fob. My car is well-cared for and has only 60,000 miles on it. What would cause this? I'm really worried about it getting stolen.

Keyless remotes for the Volkswagen Jetta have been known to act erratically when the batteries are getting low or the remote is defective. First, try replacing the batteries in your remote and verify that the problem is fixed. If problem continues, replace the remote which is malfunctioning. If both remotes are not working, then the body control module will have to be tested. If one or more components are causing the module to not let you lock or unlock the doors, there may be a problem such as an open or short in one of the door switches. A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can inspect your doors, diagnose why they won’t lock or unlock, and perform any needed repairs.