Q: Have to use over-ride button before car shifts

Every time, I have to use the over-ride button before my car will shift out of park. In researching, I read that the problem might be the the shifter micro-switch. I’ve done most of my own car repairs (brakes, heads, water pumps, clutches, etc) but delicate jobs-- I’d rather leave them to the professional. Is this a job that you think I can attempt to do myself or should I go to the dealership?

Yes, the micro-switch is a common failure, but not a too difficult repair for your Volvo 850. However, the shifter trim will need to be removed and the wiring connectors can be tricky to disconnect without damaging the harness. Just make sure you have the replacement part handy while doing the repair in order to be able to have a reference for the wiring connectors. Trim tools may be necessary to remove the shifter trim to prevent damage to the trim. You could try the repair this yourself if you are comfortable. But if you get stuck, or are unsure how the damage occurred to the wiring or trim, you could enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose and repair the shifting issue for you.

3. Have to use over-ride button before car shifts