Q: Harmonic Balancer

Had car wreck and the front left was replace, front bumper, rim on tire and it needed an alignment. Upon return of vehicle, the fly wheel was vibrating and squealing was heard from the belt. Noticeably the belt was not on track. When brought back to shop they said it was probably just wear from my harmonic balancer and not due to the wreck? It never showed any signs before it was sent in to repair and started right after I picked the car up. Could the wreck have caused this or is this just coincidence?

The harmonic balancer can be damaged by direct impact, particularly from the side, because the balancer consists of a rubber bonded component that can be forced out of position if, say, there is a substantial impact on the pulley. If you can see evidence of the balancer contacting the car frame (tell-tale dents, scratches, or the like), then the damage was probably caused in the crash. On the other hand, if there is no evidence that the balancer was forced against anything, then a possible conclusion is the failure is a coincidence. If the harmonic balancer is damaged, do repair it promptly as the balancer does play a role in protecting the crankshaft from extreme forces that can damage it. Also, it is important that all accessory pulleys be aligned in the same plane as the crankshaft pulley so that these pulleys work properly and do not damage the drive belt. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a harmonic balancer inspection/diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you and address all of your concerns. If you have further questions, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.