Q: Hard to steer and power steering just or serviced

The steering in my 2008 Hyundai Elantra became very difficult all of a sudden the other night while driving home. I've barely driven the vehicle since then and am fairly certain that the problem is with the power steering. I have already had the power steering serviced at my own cost and it's having the same symptoms as before. Is it normal for this to happen twice before the vehicle hits 70,000 miles?

A loss of power steering may make it harder to steer but you should still be able to steer the car to get safely off the road. Your vehicle is equipped with electric power steering which can often be reset just by turning your key off, then restarting the car while you’re safely pulled over to the side of the road. To see if there are any faults in the system, it needs to be to checked for codes. In February, NHTSA issued a recall #15V100000 for Hyundai power steering issues, and there is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 12-ST-001 for a software update to the steering system. You should contact your nearest Hyundai dealer with your VIN to see if your car is affected, if parts are available, and to make a possible appointment for repairs.