Q: hard thud when driving

Test drove a car. Had kind of a thud when starting out. Seller said it was a brake caliper slide sticking. He just had the brakes done at Monroe. Does that sound right?,I'm concerned it could be the transmission. Thank you for your assistance.

Hello. A sticking brake caliper slide can cause the car to seem like it is losing power, but it will not usually cause a thud noise. From my experience with this car, thuds are almost always from worn out engine and transmission mounts, a bad CV axle, or the transmission failing. I typically inspect the mounts for wear first and then check to see if there is excessive play in the CV axle joints. If those are fine then it may be the transmission. Getting the vehicle on a hoist and running it to see where the noise is coming from helps. If you wanted to have this looked at before you buy it, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to the vehicle and give the car a full pre-purchase inspection so that you can buy with confidence.