Q: Hard start, sputtering even idle, sometimes turns off while idle

My car has a hard start. After resting the night, I start it in the morning and usually get the red oil light in the dash. If I turn the car off and start it again, the light will not come on. (this gives me a little peace!) while not moving, it will start to shake or sputter. Car improves drastically when I start driving. Sometimes I have a little bit of difficulty accelerating, but if I get on the highway everything is okay. Once I have to stop at traffic lights or traffic jams, the sputtering begins again and in some cases it will turn off. (it has always started again. . Thank God!) also, the rpm needle seems to have a life of its own. When stopped and shaking, the car seems to be trying to self adjust and the rpms go up and down. While doing this the lights seem to flicker a little bit. I have gotten different diagnosis.. A lot said fuel pump. When I look for this part online, I can get just the pump, or the pump assembly which includes fuel sender. Big price difference!

A: In general, when a vehicle has problems s...

Hello:

In general, when a vehicle has problems starting initially, it's usually caused by a restriction in fuel flow or the mixture of air and fuel to create the right volume of vapor to be ignited in the cylinder. This could be caused by a fuel pump that is faulty, however, there are more than a dozen potential other mechanical components that might be dirty, clogged or damaged that cause the same issues. Before you decide to purchase a new fuel pump, you should probably contact one of our mobile mechanics to complete a car is hard to start inspection first. This will allow them to pinpoint the source of your PT Cruisers issues and recommend the right repairs.