Q: Had a sm oil leak (slow drip) but suddenly a lot of oil leaking out

Had a sm oil leak (slow drip) but suddenly oil light came on and a lot of oil began leaking out - about a 1-2 inch wide stripe behind car appears steadily when driven, and oil pools quickly beneath driver side when parked.

Hello, This suggests you may have a leak resulting from a failing gasket somewhere in your engine or a leak that has developed as a result of too much oil pressure in a specific location in the motor. This should be looked at immediately before driving the car any further as this can and will cause major engine damage if not repaired. As you know, there are many different places in your motor that are sealed by gaskets. Gaskets can fail over time due to excessive heat and will eventually shrink causing them to fail and leak. Gaskets can also fail when the oil pressure in a given place in the motor that is sealed by a gasket is too great for the gasket to contain. These types of leaks are more noticeable when the engine is running and oil is under pressure rather than oil simply leaking due to gravity as a result of a failed gasket. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and repair your oil leak.